Be prepared. It’s not just the Boy Scout motto - It’s great advice for family caregivers. Sometimes the hardest part of caregiving is keeping up with our senior parents’ medical information in an efficient way. The Home Instead Senior Care® network’s Senior Emergency KitSM can help ensure that family caregivers like you have fast and easy access to important information about loved ones in case of an emergency call.
With the help of the Humana Points of Caregiving®, Home Instead Senior Care has developed this kit that is designed to help family caregivers in Davenport, Moline and Bettendorf gather details about a senior’s doctors, pharmacy and insurance company, medications and dosages, as well as allergies, power of attorney and other important information. It may be a good idea to post some of the available worksheets on the refrigerator or place them by the telephone. You may also want to keep a copy in your own files as well as your car in case you are not close to home when you get that emergency phone call.
The Senior Emergency Kit is an information management tool that can help ensure family caregivers have fast and easy access to important information about their loved ones in case they get an emergency call. This toolkit will provide family caregivers relevant details about their senior including:
- A checklist of important contact names and information
- A medication tracker
- An allergies and conditions worksheet
- A doctor visit worksheet to record pertinent information
- A senior emergency wallet card
- Health Care Proxy
- DNR (Do Not Resuscitate) Order
- Advance Directives such as Living Will and Durable Power of Attorney
- Insurance Policies
- Will and Testament
- Copy of Medicare/Medicaid Card
- Anatomical Gift/Organ Donation Card
- Valuables Designation List
Consider some more resources to learn more about how to keep your senior loved ones safe at home.